Monday, September 21, 2009

The Setting of the Son and the Rise of a Star

Ever since he was a toddler, my brother Bobby Miller has been a unique individual. He's always had an energy about him, a vibe for success, a strong sense of charisma and enthusiasm in every task he took on. He's always been an outgoing kid, with more than a little flair for the dramatic, a cute, little go-getter evolved into nothing less than a handsome, ambitious thespian. I can still remember him as a child, standing tall and proud on our fireplace, belting out the very popular (at the time,) "Amazed" by Lonestar. And as I reenter the now, I am both astonished and overjoyed to see my little brother take the stage at his high school, as the lead role in the fall play...and to think he's only a freshman.

As I sit out with my brother on the deck, the flowers in full bloom, a calm, serene breeze around us, I ask my brother a few inquisitive questions about his interest in the Drama field. Although I am his sister, and know him better than most others, I am very curious to understand this passion of his more vividly. I begin with the question, "How much acting experience do you have?" He reminds me of his three years of Theatre Arts at Urbana Middle School. He also tells me of the recent private classes he attends each week at an acting center called, "24/7" in Frederick. This is of course coupled with his Drama class and various rehearsals at Urbana High, so his formal training is as impressive as his natural talent.

I then ask if this is the career he wants to pursue. The answer is simple, and the bright smile that appears on his face is enough to let me know he could settle for nothing less. He believe acting, whether it be in the theater, or eventually in films, is his calling, the dream he's carried with him his entire young life.

Personally, I truly believe my brother is a good actor, but what it takes to be one, is something I can't exactly put my finger on. I think only a true actor or actress would really know what it takes. "Being a good actor takes persistence and patience." he replies. "Often times an actor must accept rejection after rejection before he or she can land a role. It doesn't mean they were necessarily a bad actor, it just means that role wasn't meant for them, that someone could do that role more justice. Likability is also an important factor. People have to like you, must enjoy seeing you, on the stage or on the big screen." But most importantly of all he said, "An actor is simply someone who takes action. Any action. A real actor can do anything."

The next question I ask him is, "What about acting do you take the most pleasure out of?" According to Bobby, he personally takes the most enjoyment out of submersing himself in a role, losing himself and being reborn into a new person, the character he is currently portraying. "It's fun to pretend. You really get to know your character, you begin to see the world through their eyes. It opens your mind to new perspectives. It's a very enriching experience."

I then bring up his recent success as lead role in the upcoming fall play, "Happy Daze." Once again a huge smile stretches across his face. I can tell how excited he is. "Were you nervous before your audition? If so, what did you do to cope with the stress of the situation?" He chuckles. "I'm not going to lie, I was pretty nervous. Urbana's drama department is very talented. Many of the other students I was up against were upperclassmen. It was very intimidating, but as for coping, there really wasn't much I could do. I simply took a couple deep breaths before the actual audition, held my head high, and did the best I could with the lines I was given to read. That's all anyone can really do. Try their best and hope for the best."

By the end of our interview, I've learned a lot about my little brother, not only as an actor, but as a person as well. I've been taught of his growth through the years, how his persistence and patience, his good personality and optimistic attitude have been major factors of his success on the stage. I admire his self-esteem which is something I had always wished to emulate as a person. The characteristics and qualities he has represent timeless personifications of the other great men of theater. His favorite actor is Charlie Chaplain, one of the most monumental performers of the last century, and he mirrors his style through his representation. These are the elements that make acting moving and heartfelt. He's on the path to accomplishing what Chaplain did years ago, the greatest achievement of any artist, the ability to turn fiction into reality, by creating something for people to believe in.

3 comments:

  1. Once again Ashleigh i enjoyed your blog. You did a very good job on your first paragraphin describing who your subject was going to be. And from there evrything was puzzled in very well. I liked the vocab. words you used, i know i have to work on that. Your interview was great and i wish your brother best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really enjoyed your post ashleigh. it kind of made me wish i had a little brother.. and it gave me an idea of what it would be like to have a little brother. it also made me think about my days back when i was in the drama dept before i stopped! from the great way that you described your brother's happy attitude about acting, i think he's going to do great in his show. good luck to him!

    ReplyDelete